Tuesday, August 14, 2012
1. What are your favorite tools you now have in your personal technology toolbox? Briefly describe a particular activity that you will plan for your students using at least one of these new tools.
Google docs is a favorite and we will continue using this application. From Health to Physical Education to Athletics there are a multitude of programs available. Another way of sharing these tools in Athletics is to share player statistics, game information, and film clips, having them accessible for the students view at their convenience.
2. How have you transformed your thinking about the learning that will take place in your classroom? How has your vision for your classroom changed? Are you going to need to make any changes to your classroom to accommodate the 21st Century learner? Personally, I feel that this technology could gain the attention of more students finding class interesting. The classroom should be more exciting using this technology. The vision in our classroom may change by needing more technology available in the gym.
3. Were there any unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you? No, there was not any unexpected outcomes that surprised me, just learning that there are a lot of useful programs and tools available than I was aware.
1. Discuss at least three things you would want to make sure your students understand about being good digital citizens. That you can be held liable for what you say and put in writing on the internet (facebook, twitter etc..). Parents should have rules and be aware of what their children are doing everyday and on the internet. Also, to be a good digital citizen your communication should be the same on the internet as when speaking with someone in public.
2. Share at least one of the resources mentioned above or on the Ed Tech website that you plan to use instructionally. Some resources that may be used are: Internet Safety and Digital Citizenship Presentations and links from Texas School Safety Center.
3. Explain briefly how you would "teach" the idea of digital citizenship to your students. I would explain and teach the idea of digital citizenship through a variety of resources. I will use SBISD provided resources as well as resources and information from the internet. Paramount to this discussion is the need for common courtesy, respect, and self-restraint. Next, the concepts of privacy, bullying and the permanency of the Internet shall be addressed. Finally, digital citizenship needs to encompass concepts of appropriate behavior and communication.
Monday, August 13, 2012
Why do you think it is important to tie the technology to the objective? It makes learning more enjoyable and fun for the students, keeps them more focused with new technology and it helps the students stay current with technology.
Why should we hold students accountable for the stations/centers? It is part of life and growing up us young men and women to learn and be held responsible for their actions. Also, it teaches responsibility.
Visit 2 of the applicable links to interactive websites for your content/grade level. Which sites did you like. How could you use them as stations? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations? There were not a lot of websites for HPE activities but I liked YouTube for demonstrations of sporting events and skills for all levels. Also, the use of Animoto videos to tape on disk the students actually applying the skills they were taught in practicing activities used in game type situations. Once they see the skill level they are currently at and how funny it may look, they might pay more attention to the instructions of said skills.
List two to three apps you found for the iPod Touch/iPad that you can use in your classroom. What do you see that station looking like? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations? We could use the BMI index for testing of each students Body Mass Index. We could create personal charts for each student and they could place their BMI scores on the chart. Then we could set up a running chart and weight lifting chart along with nutritional chart to set each individuals goals on losing or gaining weight and building muscle and cardiovascular endurance. They will be held accountable by reaching or not reaching their BMI goal.
What about other ways to use the iPod Touch/iPad? Share another way you can see your students using the device as a station. The students can use the iPad or iTouch by recording each others Fitness test scores or by the number of push-ups, sit-ups or laps run around the track in 6 minutes.
In HPE we will be using iPad and/or iPhones which will make taking roll faster. There are a multitude of apps available for the iPad some of which we utilized last year. Being in the gym or outdoors may make the use of these devices more difficult, so the use of team leaders may be necessary. All documentation of devices and technology guidelines will need to be discussed and signed by all responsible individuals. The students will understand what they are responsible and accountable for and all consequences related to the devices.
The suggestions offered in the Tools website will be very helpful in dealing with the management of the equipment. In managing the iPads the students would be placed in groups with a leader in each group checking over the equipment. A day or two of explanation in preparation of use of the devices may be necessary.
To work congruently with all Northbrook HS Coaches and various University Coaches.
Attempt to implement during the 2012 - 2013 basketball season.
What tools do you plan to use:
NHS is currently using Google docs with their HPE classes as the asynchronous way and we would like to implement Skype as our synchronous way of communication.
Brief description of the project plan:
The basketball coaches at NHS could bring together and share ideas on Offenses, Defenses, Presses and various plays from out of bounds to transition breaks. Through our synchronous methods we could communicate with other coaches to discuss players skills, weaknesses and game strategies. We could also discuss players and strategies with College Coaches. Also, use of bulletin board for statistics, question and answers, videos to show actions where the play was broken down and how we need to execute in future activities.
If you need to find another classroom: Through synchronous methods our classroom could be virtually anywhere we decide. All we would need is a time to meet via Skype and continue the meetings from any location with a connection.
Today's Meet and Poll Every Where are some tools that we could utilize in the classroom and in PE. Although we do not allow phones in the gym, there seems to be more with their cell phones than without. At least we will know that some of the time they will be using them for educational purposes instead of attempting to hide them from us.